Saturday, October 9, 2010

WHEN WE LOVE TO BE SOCIAL BUT IT CAN ALSO MAKE US UNSOCIAL.

From my last post, it was about the popularity with iPhone, and how we love to stay connected. So, I found this video, it's actually a Thai ad. Pretty interesting and touchy from my point of view.


One of my friend actually uploaded this video before, but I'd like to write more about this so I think I might as well do one blog about the topic of how when we become so social, it can make us unsocial sometimes.









What do you think about the video? By the way, in the end the ad said something like "Reasonable usage should be enough"


I was like "TOUCHE"


So I've done some further research on "how social media can make us unsocial sometimes" and I found a very interesting article.


Social media is local and global at the same time, it gave us possibilities and opportunities to get out there and be social. In many ways, how we use social media, how we stay connected, it obviously make us more socially active. For example, someone who most of the time love to hide themselves comfortably behind their computer screens, live with cellphones and internet, social media allow them to stay connected to the outside world.


Social media and the internet give us the opportunity to break barriers, allow us to interact and share ideas. Thus, I think interactions and sharing points of views are major advantage of why they exist. People share more information than they do before they exist, and faster too. Expressions become easier, for example, facebook status allow us to understand more about people we connect with or how we don't need to be afraid of those awkward moments if we want to say hi to a friend we haven't talk with for a while. In many cases, we get to know more people, we expand our circle of people we know.


On the other hand, because it is easier for us to connect, share ideas, interact etc etc. The downside of it is that, conflicts and obsession are unavoidable. So...Where's the point of too much? When there's issues about privacy, parents concerned on their child browsing through lots of inappropriate stuffs on the internet.


The article also found that, some people consider that people share more information than they interact, for example, posting a clip on someone's wall is consider information sharing not interaction. Or in the end, it can seem that when you know someone, the person they are online are totally different when you meet face-to-face.


Anyhow, in the end it's depends on what people think. For me, I would say, I love how they existed. And I know when to use and when to not. I've seen some people obsessions over facebook games, applications. As long as we know how to make the best of it. I think it's more than useful, it keeps us connected and that's important.








: ) hope you like the post




Source: http://outerorbit.blogspot.com/2010/10/does-social-media-make-you-unsocial.html

2 comments:

  1. So I guess, what really important is just what is in the middle - balance.. and this applies not just in the case of mobile phone but also in the social networking

    Social media is important in many aspects but it can also make that person become addicted to the "world behind the screen" - imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In many cases we saw children become obsessed with online games, chatting, etc and sometimes it's bad for them.

    Also, in many cases, because they are so used to "behind the screen" they don't talk to each other anymore and that becomes a habit.

    So, I totally agree with "balance",

    ReplyDelete